Also known as softcover binding or perfect binding, paperback binding is a common bookbinding method used for creating paperback books.It is a cost-effective binding method suitable for high-volume printing. Finally, paperback binding is commonly used for a wide range of publications including:
Get the best binding for your print project with personalized paperback binding!
In this binding technique, the pages of the book are glued together at the spine, and a flexible paper or cardstock cover is wrapped around the book's content. As a trade printing specialist, we take the paperback binding process very seriously, so that your clients’ demands go beyond their expectations.
Here's an overview of the paperback binding process:
- Printing: The first step is to print the content of the book on large sheets of paper. These sheets are usually printed with multiple pages on each side, known as "signatures."
- Collating: After printing, the large printed sheets are collated, meaning they are arranged in the correct page order. The order of the signatures is essential to ensure that the pages appear in the correct sequence in the finished book.
- Folding: Each printed sheet is then folded along the centerline to create the individual pages. For example, a large sheet with four pages on each side would be folded to create eight individual pages.
- Milling or Roughening: The folded signatures are gathered together in the correct order, and the spine edge is roughened or milled. Milling creates a rough texture on the edge of the pages, allowing the adhesive to adhere better and create a stronger bond.
- Applying Adhesive: A layer of hot-melt adhesive is applied to the milled spine edge of the gathered signatures. The adhesive is usually a flexible and durable glue that can withstand the rigors of use.
- Attaching the Cover: A paper cover, usually slightly larger than the book's dimensions, is placed over the glued spine. The cover can be printed with the book's title, author's name, artwork, and any other relevant information.
- Pressing and Trimming: The book is then placed in a press to ensure a strong and even bond between the pages and the cover. The book is trimmed to its final size, ensuring that the edges are neat and uniform.
- Cooling and Drying: After pressing and trimming, the book is allowed to cool and dry, which further strengthens the adhesive bond.
- Quality Control: The finished books are thoroughly checked for any defects, such as loose pages, misaligned printing, or improper trimming.
No project is too big for Best Deals Graphics and Printing! If you wish to have paperback binding for your printing project, don’t hesitate to contact us! Our design team will assist you with your trade printing project every step of the way. Get a quote online and obtain free shipping everywhere in Canada!
- High quality printing
- Low startup quantity (minimum 500)
- Available on 100% recycled paper
- Available with Glossy and matt finish
- Available in custom sizes