In printing, a softcover binding refers to a bookbinding method where the cover of a book is made of a flexible material, typically paper or cardstock, instead of a rigid material like hardboard or cardboard used in hardcover bindings. Softcover bindings are also commonly known as paperback bindings.
Softcover bindings are commonly used for a wide range of publications, including novels, poetry books, academic textbooks, and various types of periodicals. They are often more affordable to produce than hardcover bindings and are preferred for mass-market editions, especially for books that may require frequent updates or revisions. Additionally, softcover books are generally lighter and more portable, making them easier to carry around and read on the go.
Get the best binding for your print project with personalized softcover binding!
As a trade printing specialist, we take the thermal binding process very seriously, so that your clients’ demands go beyond their expectations. Here’s an general overview of the softcover binding process:
- Printing the inner pages: The first step is to print the content of the book on large sheets of paper. These sheets are typically printed on both sides and will later be folded and trimmed to form the individual pages of the book.
- Collating and folding: After printing, the large printed sheets are collated in the correct order to ensure the pages are in sequence. The collated sheets are then folded in half to create the page spreads. For example, two printed pages will be placed side by side on each folded sheet.
- Trimming: Once the sheets are folded, the book's pages are not yet the final size. The edges of the folded sheets are trimmed to make them uniform and to remove any excess paper from the edges.
- Creating the cover: Separate sheets of paper or cardstock are used to create the book's cover. The cover design, title, and other relevant information are typically printed on these sheets. The cover sheets are also trimmed to the correct size.
- Applying adhesive: The next step is to apply adhesive to the spine of the folded inner pages. The adhesive keeps the pages together and also attaches them to the cover.
- Attaching the cover: The cover is wrapped around the folded and glued pages, aligning the spine of the cover with the adhesive on the pages. The adhesive on the spine of the inner pages is pressed against the inside of the cover to bind everything together.
- Finishing touches: After attaching the cover, the book goes through a trimming process again, where the three outer edges of the book (top, bottom, and side) are trimmed to make them smooth and even.
- Quality control: The completed softcover books undergo a quality control process to check for any defects or issues before they are packaged and shipped.
No project is too big for Best Deals Graphics and Printing! If you want a softcover binding for your print project, don’t hesitate to contact us! Our design team will assist you with your trade printing project every step of the way. Get a quote online and obtain free shipping everywhere in Canada!
- High quality printing
- Low startup quantity (minimum 500)
- Available on 100% recycled paper
- Available with Glossy and matt finish
- Available in custom sizes